Always in a Job Interview



Always in a Job Interview


Once upon a time I was an 18 year old teller at a Big corporate bank. One of the clients who would come in regularly and make very large deposits told me during a conversation once, "You never know who's going to walk through that door and be impressed by you. Act and dress like you are always in a Job Interview."  This rings so true in every aspect of one's life. 

Recently, I have come across some very unimpressive people. I cannot tell you how many people I know or come across who ask me if I know of anyone looking to hire.  I'm always evaluating people and how they interact with others. If someone impresses me, hands down, I will vouch for them and give them praise... or hire them for myself.  If they are dressed sloppy or casual all the time (which is okay, if your profession calls for it), and do not show common courtesy and thoughtfulness to others, or they complain or talk poorly of others I may think twice or not at all about vouching. Some don't think about the fact they could be in front of their next employer or someone who can be influential in them getting the job of their dreams. 

How Should you Be?
  • Be Impressive always.  
  • Go the Extra Mile. 
  • Show that you care. Smile. 
  • Avoid Gossip. 
  • Don't look like a Hot Mess. 
  • Be Calm but energetic. 
  • Find Good in everything you do. 
  • Be a Leader of what you do. 
  • Speak up!
  • Speak Clearly

Attire: 
  • Clean
  • No Jeans
  • Unwrinkled
  • Business-like
  • Nothing too tight
  • Nothing too revealing
  • Nice Shoes
  • Men can wear a collared shirt or shirt with no collar if wearing a sport coat
  • Women your list is too long to list
  • If you have to ask, it's probably a "No"

In my profession, Real Estate Sales, I'm definitely under the watchful, critical eye. Once a client selling his home with me was unimpressed with the way the Buyer's agent was dressed when she came to meet the inspectors at his house. He told me how impressed he was with me and that I always looked so professional and dressed the part of a realtor. He said the other agent "just looked messy". He talked about her hair, and that it looked like she had slept in her clothes.  How I dress is now who I am. It's funny how perception is so important in how people treat us and find value in what we do.  

When I was in parochial school I hated wearing uniforms. I was always trying to get the uniform policies abolished by getting petitions signed by other students. One day I read an article explaining why uniforms were being adopted in public schools. It mentioned, "students in uniformed schools have fewer absences, tardies, truancies and referrals to the office for behavior problems, fewer suspensions and expulsions, and in some cases, significantly higher achievement. " The Psychological Effects of Wearing School Uniforms 
How you dress affects how you feel and what you project in confidence. Confidence = Preparedness for any potential "interview" situation you might be presented with. 

Pretend like every day is an interview. You never know when the next Bill Gates, Elon Musk, Oprah Winfrey, Mark Zuckerberg, or Warren Buffett might cross your path. 

Stand out and be noticed! 


This wonderful article was written by The Job Network. It resonated with me in that you should always act as if you are in a job interview.

-Ginger Marphis, Blogger, Realtor, Negotiation Expert, Wife, Daughter, Entrepreneur.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Virtual Career Night by Ginger Marphis

Navigating ways to Avoid Probate

Technology for Smart Homes